Under general supervision and direction, this position is to act as the subject matter expert on all IP products and services, including VoIP, MPLS, RIP, BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS, SSL, and IPVPN networking. The IP Engineer is also responsible for developing network design, test, and implementation best practices that ensure the highest possible network reliability and uptime. This individual will work closely with other team members and departments to coordinate activities and projects for network reconfiguration, system upgrades and system redesign plans to support network convergence.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Proficient engineering 3 routing infrastructure with detailed knowledge of LAN/WAN/VLAN/VPN operations and administration of network QoS policy.
- Thorough knowledge of VoIP application and SIP protocol to build and support soft-switching VoIP delivery.
- Thorough knowledge of routing protocols TCP/IP, SONET, Ethernet, ATM, CDMA VoIP, Voice systems service delivery. Analyzes complex problems associated with Ethernet, TCP/IP, and other LAN/WAN systems.
- Full understanding of server authentication, management and monitoring technology; SNMP, ACS, RADIUS, AAA.
- Thorough understanding of Cisco routing and switching platforms in an ISP and customer environment. Includes BGP, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF and other routing protocols.
- Analyzes complex problems associated with optical transport systems, voice switching systems, wireless systems as it relates to IP.
- Thorough understanding of IPv4 and IPv6 routing and sub-netting practices.
- Ability to understand, design, recommend, and implement QoS, IPv4, IPv6, carrier grade NAT/PAT, and DNS. Troubleshooting techniques align with both the OSI and TCP/IP models.
- Drive quality management departmental policies, processes and procedures and work across functions and departments and ensure collaborative work environment.
- Coordinates and conducts traffic studies. Analyzes traffic data and makes recommendations for equipment changes based on analysis. To include forecasting, trending, and capacity projection in all IP related network infrastructure.
- Provide specific detailed information for hardware and software selection, implementation techniques and tools for most efficient solution to meet business needs including present and future capacity requirements.
- Assists in maintaining the department’s capital and operating expenses through prudent use of company capital and material resources. Assists department manager in the preparation of capital and expense budgets.
- Work within network administrator role to develop, plan, implement, and verify changes and improvements across all network infrastructures. Will analyze subscriber growth areas and determine the most effective manner to satisfy customer requirements.
- Responsible for the detailed engineering specifications (MOP’s), project coordination and ensuring the installation of central office equipment in in accordance with operational and industry standards.
Additional Job Duties and Responsibilities
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with designing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting of complex voice, data, video and wireless networks.
- Able to analyze the network to engineer the best possible solution, traffic data for cost studies and maintenance purposes and gather and report numerical data and produce statistical reports.
- Experience working in complex organization within a dynamic competitive marketplace with new customer needs and expectations.
- Able to work from oral and written instructions, make decisions independently, and take responsibility for them.
- Able to handle multiple priorities, work accurately, work under pressure, and respond quickly to tight deadlines.
- Able to communicate effectively, both in writing and in speaking, with customers, co-workers, and various business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Knowledge of company policies, procedures, products, and services.
It is expected that this person has a minimum of 5 years’ experience working with the following protocols; OSPF, MPLS, BGP and ISIS. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related field, or a combination of education and experience that would enable performance of the duties of the position. Work experience in the computer industry with a background in networking and previous telecommunications industry experience.
- Sits at desk most of working day.
- Stands and walks short distances in office.
- Walking up to one mile in rough terrain.
- Handles books, papers, and office equipment.
- May be required to lift and carry weights up to 25 pounds.
- May require irregular hours.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. Nemont reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.